Is it ever too early to prep your super bowl menu? I think not. I must confess, my favorite part of most holidays is menu planning. I could care less who is playing, but bring on the endless appetizers! These honey barbecue chicken wings are going to be perfect for the big game in a few weeks, but they would be delicious for any holiday gathering. They are perfect hot, and crispy out of the oven, but the best part is they stay delicious at room temp as well.
I love the minimalist approach to these wings. Nothing too involved, uses ingredients I typically have on hand already, and they come out flavorful and lacquered just like your favorite wing restaurant. These are always a big hit around our house.
My daughter loves how fun and messy it gets eating these wings. The drumettes are especially easy for her to eat. There is something about the independence of eating meat off the bone all by herself that she seems to love. We have always just given her whatever meat we’re eating and wait and see if she can figure out how to eat it. Ribs, chicken legs, whatever. If she requests it cut up or if there is a choking hazard, obviously we will cut things into smaller pieces, but it always amazes me how well she can figure things out if left to her own devices.
These wings take a little time, ~30 minutes per side and an extra ten to caramelize the sauce. They’re great to have crisping up in the oven while you prep the rest of your appetizers, chop carrots and celery to go with the wings, or while you sit back and enjoy the commercials…I mean game.
2 Tablespoon aluminum free baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 lbs chicken wings and/or drumettes
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray or wipe down a wire rack with avocado oil place wire rack inside (you will thank me later when cleaning!)
- Mix baking powder and spices together in a small bowl. Use paper towels to pat chicken wings and/or drumettes as dry as possible, then sprinkle over chicken and toss until evenly coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip and bake another 20-30 minutes.
- Mix together barbecue sauce and honey. Remove chicken from oven and coat with sauce on both sides. Bake for 8-10 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!