Growing up, my family was all about traditions during the holiday season. If we did it once, we had to do it every year. We used the same old flannel shirt of my dad’s to make the scarecrow for Halloween, the same dressing recipe for Thanksgiving, and we watch the recorded cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas with the commercials on Christmas Eve while eating seafood gumbo before we open gifts from each other.
One of the traditional recipes we turn to year after year is my mom’s chocolate cream pie. It was always a treat to be the lucky one to walk into the kitchen when she was through pouring the pudding into the crust and she’d let us scrape the bowl. I wanted to create a dairy free, gluten free version of my childhood favorite to be able to share with my daughter this Christmas.
This chocolate cream pie tastes just like I remember. It’s creamy and decadent. It works so well as a whole pie and stays firm when cut, but we love to have it as a chocolate pudding in individual cups. I was a little worried about the coconut flavor coming through, but it hardly comes through.
Chocolate Cream Pie
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder
2 T cornstarch
1/8 t salt
2 c full fat coconut milk
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 t vanilla
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat over medium and slowly stir in milk.
- Stir constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil, while stirring, for one minute.
- Slowly stir half of hot mixture into egg yolks to temper. Stir back into hot mixture on stove. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into prepared gluten and dairy free pie shell. Allow to cool slightly.
- Best served after refrigerated 1-2 hours.