I believe I have gushed about my love of gulf shrimp in a previous post, so I will not bore you with a second account of why and how much I love my favorite protein. Suffice to say, I try to work shrimp into our meal plan as often as my family will let me. This week, I thought I’d change things up and try a gluten free version of fried shrimp. I had moderately low expectations, because this was the first time I tried something like this with a non-wheat flour.
It blew those expectations out of the water. I am so happy I branched out! These were such a treat, and went over well with the toddler. She’s a huge fan of shrimp, don’t know where she got that from 🙂 She also LOVES anything that comes with a dipping sauce. The sauce is not something to skimp out on. It’s creamy, delicious, with the perfect amount of spice. Also, it goes so well with the crispy shrimp.
I served this with roasted broccoli, lemon vinaigrette cole slaw, rice noodles, and perfect, juicy nectarines.
Gluten Free Fried Shrimp
1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
2 tsp sriracha or hot sauce of choice
2 tsp coconut aminos
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp salt
4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2-3 lbs peeled/de veined shrimp (I like them on the larger size for this recipe)
avocado oil for frying
- Combine all sauce ingredients in small bowl. Can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a large metal rack on top.
- Mix together dry ingredients for shrimp. Whisk eggs until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1/8 inch of avocado oil for frying.
- Dip shrimp into egg mixture, then dry mixture, and fry in oil for 2-3 minutes per side. You want a nice golden color with a crispy shell.
- Repeat with remaining shrimp. When shrimp are cooked thoroughly, place on wire rack and place in oven to keep hot and crisp until last batch is fried.
- Serve hot and enjoy!